Recently I made my Cafe Rio Cilantro Lime Sweet Rice. It was delish...and made enough to feed an army. We got sick of eating fajita burritos so I decided to switch it up and use the leftover rice for another meal. Here's what I ended up doing.
It was easy, and SO GOOD!
Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
Here is the actual recipe I used.
Just click on the picture of the recipe and save to your computer to print and enjoy!
I got it from my favorite cook book,
I love this cook book because the recipes are all SO GOOD, and they don't have you cut corners...but it's easy! Instead of just throwing canned tomato sauce onto chicken parmesan, they have you make your own sauce - but it's really easy. Anyway, any time I want a meal to be really good, I go to this cook book.
Ok moving on...
I had a bunch of broccoli from price-matching the other week that I needed to use up. It was the leftovers after I made broccoli cheese soup for my potato bar.
We had a big bag of shrimp from Costco in my freezer, so I was all set there.
This recipe is really easy!
- You make the sauce and set it aside (so quick). I didn't have rice vinegar so I just used white vinegar, and it tasted fine. I added a pinch of ginger to add a little flavor.
- Then, you cook up garlic in hot oil for about 15 seconds. Add your veggies, and cook for about 3 minutes. I added a can of mushrooms (from THIS haul) to mine since I didn't have fresh - it tasted great.
- You remove your veggies, add the sauce and shrimp to your skillet, cook it up, then add the veggies back in.
- I warmed up our leftover rice,
- Put it in a bowl, then added the stir-fried goodness on top. Oh man, it was so good!
I will definitely be making this again.
Though, next time I will probably double the sauce. I ended up adding soy sauce to my rice AND to the veggie/shrimp mixture just before it was finished cooking.
I'm saucy, what can I say :)
It was quick, healthy, and really tasty. I recommend this recipe for sure!
NEVER THROW OUT YOUR FOOD without trying to find another use for it! If it won't kill you, eat it. We were sick of eating the rice (plus, we didn't have any of the fajita mixture left to eat it with). Rather than throwing it out, we found a use for it! This goes for veggies too. If they aren't good enough to eat plain or raw any more, chop them up. Freeze them. Make them into a soup, casserole, or stir fry. Blend them into a smoothie. Do anything you can to not waste food, and your family will save HUNDREDS a year.
Yeah, you heard me...
I'm not even kidding, people.
Check out my other recipes for more creative ideas for reusing food. Oh, and...
...Happy eating :)