Welcome back to Replay Thursday, where we "replay" an oldie - but goodie - savings tip for you...so you don't miss out on any of the good stuff :)
With gas prices as astronomical as they are right now, I thought I'd repost this old savings tip...and add a few more gas-saving tips for you while I'm at it. :) Enjoy!
How to save on gas:I have always been told that idling your car saves gas, because it takes much more gas to start your car.
Turns out I was wrong.
HERE that if you idle for only 10 secods, your engine uses as much gas as it does when you start your engine. Yikes! If you round up to two minutes? It uses the same amount of fuel that it takes to drive 1 mile.
Not only will this tip save you tons of gas = money, but it will also help preserve the environment and cut down on pollution. I don't know about you but I'm sold!
Here are more gas-saving tips:
- Check your tire pressure. You can get as much as 3.3% better gas mileage when your tires are filled properly!
- Change your oil on time. Your car uses more gas when it's in need of an oil change.
- Buy your gas on Wednesdays. Gas prices typically go up on weekends, so fill up mid-week.
- Carpool! Drive with someone whenever possible, or trade off driving your kids to school with a friend.
- Condense your trips. Try to get all your shopping done in one day rather than doing little trips every day.
- Walk. If there is a park a few blocks away, walk rather than drive. It's shocking how much you can save by cutting out a drive here and there. Plus, this is better for the environment AND your health.
- Take note of gas prices. It's easy to pull into the nearest station and fill up without really noting the pricing. Take note every day of what the gas prices are, and FILL UP when you see a good deal.
- Warehouse stores. Buy gas from Costco or Sams Club...they often times have great discounts.
- Take advantage of fuel perks. Grocery stores like Harmons and Smith's offer discounts on gas when you buy groceries. If you buy groceries there anyway, top off your tank! Better than paying full-price somewhere else.
- Pay with cash. At some stations they offer you a discount if you don't buy your gas with a credit card.
- Change your tires. Make sure you have the right size tires for your car, and that they are in good condition. This makes a big difference.
- Change your air filter. A dirty filter causes worse gas mileage.
- Don't speed! This helps your gas mileage, AND your wallet by avoiding speeding tickets (I'm soooo guilty of this one...)
- Use cruise control. Driving with cruise control when on the freeway gets you WAY better gas mileage.
- Take off easy. Gunning your car and taking off with speed burns through unnecessary fuel. Try to take off slowly when at a red light or stop sign.
So there you go! Simple tips to help you save on gas. How do YOU save on gas?
P.S...Lots more great gas tips HERE.