Welcome back to Foodie Tuesday!
Here's a great recipe to make after your party to use up your extra Velveeta! I made this last night and my husband kept taking a bite and saying, "wow, seriously, this is so good...I love this..."
I know, I know, I know.
Velveeta is fattening, nasty, fake, processed, the whole 9 yards.
But let's be honest, it makes for a great chip dip.
And we all know I absolutely HATE HATE HATE wasting thing, especially food!
So no, don't make this soup every day,
but yes, we can all indulge once in a while.
Trust me...it's worth it :)
Santa Fe Cheese Soup
(Adapted from "101 things to do with a slow cooker" cook book recipe.)
Here's what you need:
- 12-16oz Velveeta, cubed (it calls for 16oz but I like to use a little less. Too much is gross.)
- 1lb Ground beef, browned and drained
- 1 can of corn with liquid
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilis (I use regular diced tom's) with liquid
- 1 can of kidney beans with liquid
- 1 can of stewed tomatoes with liquid (dice them up before adding them to the soup first)
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 can black beans, rinsed (optional, but I like the black beans in there)
Here's what you do:
Combine all ingredients in a greased slow cooker and heat on low 4-5 hrs, or on high 3 hours.
OR...make it on the stove like I did last night:
Combine everything and cook on low until it's all melted and heated through. I added a few cups of water to my pot while it was cooking to make it less thick. Just add a little, let it simmer for a while, and add more until you get the taste you want.
Serve with chips and home-made corn bread...see my next post for an easy and delish corn bread recipe!the tomatoes I got on sale at Costco recently, too.
I know it sounds simple (and it is!) but I promise, it tastes sooo good. My husband can be a harsh critic so if he liked it, you will like it too :)