Happy Tuesday! Happy Foodie Tuesday, that is... :)
I don't know about you, but I hate lunch. I can never come up with good things to make, don't want to "cook" just for lunch, and get tired of only eating leftovers. Lunch for me is so hard!
For today's Foodie Tuesday recipe I thought I'd share a quick, easy, delicious, and healthy lunch (or dinner) idea for you. This would be so perfect if you hosted a luncheon, or had family visiting and wanted to serve them a nice lunch. This idea came from my aunt Joan who copied this recipe from a favorite restaurant and has been making them for years!
Avocado, Tomato & Sprout Melts
They are so easy! All you do is:
- Toast up some nice, thick bread (like Ciabatta rolls) on low broil in the oven. You could butter them lightly first if you wanted a nice golden toast.
- Put a thin layer of mayo on the toasted bread.
- Sprinkle some seasoning salt on the mayo.
- Layer sprouts over the mayo/salt mixture (don't skimp out on the sprouts, they really make the sandwich!!).
- Layer thin slices of tomato over the sprouts.
- Layer avocado over the tomato (we like loooots of avo...).
- I haven't tried this yet, but I think a nice layer of bacon would be amazing too...
- Top off the sammy with a slice of provolone.
- Broil on low in the oven until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Serve them open-faced, enjoy, and go back for seconds :)
Make these on a smaller scale for a nice finger-food for a party or luncheon. You could make them on mini bagels or smaller rolls. Wouldn't they be so pretty at a party??
This is a great way to use up avocado and/or tomato when they go on sale. I price-matched avocados recently for $0.25 each and needed creative ways to use them up. If you get tired of guacamole, make these babies!
**Note: these don't keep well as leftovers, so be sure to make them as you need them so you don't waste any food.
Enjoy impressing your family and friends with this gourmet-looking (and tasting!) lunch idea. Bon Appetit!