Note: CLICK HERE TO GET THE UPDATED VERSION OF THIS POST.
The other day my husband was searching the web and came across this site, http://www.missingmoney.com/.In a nutshell, it's a government site that keeps track of uncashed or forgotten funds that are waiting to be claimed.
- Just for kicks my husband typed in his name. Guess what? He had TWO unclaimed assets! He thinks they were from old bank accounts from forever ago that had a little bit of money still left in them, that he had completely forgotten about.
- He typed my name in for fun, and guess what...I had one too! Mine is from the State of Utah, probably some money in a retirement fund from an old job that I never cashed in. I had to submit a claim to the State (really easy, done right on the site) for them to tell me exactly what my unclaimed funds were.
Easy way to get back what's rightfully yours!
Did you know that there are over $16 Billion dollars worth of unclaimed funds floating out in the world? Yes, that's BILLION. Here's what their site says:
"We're talking a serious number of memory lapses here. Uncashed paychecks, uncollected security deposits and undeliverable refunds worth a whopping $16 billion are sitting in state coffers awaiting the claims of their rightful owners. And that's where www.MissingMoney.com comes in. In conjunction with state offices, the Web site provides search results of unclaimed assets sorted by name and issuing party - free of charge."
Common types of unclaimed property include:
- Bank accounts and safe deposit box contents
- Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and dividends
- Uncashed checks and wages
- Insurance policies, CD's, trust funds
- Utility deposits, escrow accounts
So give it a try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised...or at least, I hope so!
Happy savings to you :)